Monday, September 16, 2013

The Building of a Mantra, the Building of a Family

The Middle School Teachers felt that having a Mantra would build a sense of community and act as a deterrent from bullying. We all wanted the students to "get along" and we all wanted them to feel like this is a safe place. Before school began, the Middle School Teachers contributed ideas for the creation of the Middle School Mantra. The teacher contributions were combined to create the following Mantra:



The me I SEE is the me I will BE.
I am: a LEARNER, 
a HELPER, 
a ROLE MODEL, 
a DIFFERENCE MAKER

I am: COMPASSIONATE, 
TOLERANT, 
and KIND.
I am a MEMBER of the Cave City Middle School Family



Every school day the whole Middle School, led by two of our 8th graders, says The Pledge of Allegiance, The Middle School Mantra and pause for a moment of silence.

What an impactful start to a day! I have heard teachers discussing that the time we set aside for these things, sets the tone for the whole day. Students have stated that they feel like we are all "one big family". And I will have to say, I feel a sense of camaraderie with the teachers and the students as we all bind together for a moment and remember what we are trying to accomplish.

Thanks Middle School Teachers
Thanks Middle School Students
Thanks Middle School Family

Lori Laman, Assistant Principal
Cave City Middle School

No comments:

Post a Comment